OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: January 01, 2020
Webpage updated: July 13, 2020

        

WHO WAS WHO IN OLD PLYMOUTH

SURNAMES - B

Randolph Henri Baker (1888-1976) was Lord Mayor of Plymouth for 1951-1952.

Thomas Baker (1859-1926) was Mayor of Plymouth for 1913-1914, 1914-1915, 1915-1916 and 1916-1917, overseeing the amalgamation of Devonport, East Stonehouse and Plymouth.

Thomas Baker (1859-1926).

Miss Rosa Ellen Bale (1865-1941).

Alfred Payne Balkwill (1834-1914) was a son of Mr Joseph Hancock Balkwill.  Following his fathers death in 1844 and the withdrawal of his uncle, Mr Charles Balkwill, from the business of Messrs Balkwill and Sons, he assisted his mother, formerly Miss Anne Payne, and two young sisters in keeping the business running.  It was now known as Messrs Balkwill and Company.  They were joined in 1890 by a Mr Freeman William Hunt, of Aldeburgh, Suffolk.  When Mr Balkwill retired in 1911 he was replaced by a Mr Bernarrd T R Shelton.  Mr Alfred Payne Balkwill died in Plymouth on Monday June 1st 1914.

Benjamin Balkwill (1772-1847) was born in 1772 probably in the Ancient Parish of Tamerton Foliot, where his father, Mr Francis Balkwill, was a farmer.  Benjamin was apprenticed to Mr Thomas Ryder, a pharmacist in Plymouth, although he gave that up and became a corn chandler at Calstock, Cornwall.  Mr Balkwill married Miss Elizabeth Hancock, who was a cousin of the Cookworthy family and Mr Francis Fox, who had taken over William Cookworthy's pottery business.  Mr Fox and three partners were responsible for opening a chemists shop in Old Town Street and invited Benjamin Balkwill to manage it on their behalf.  In 1826 the business became purely Messrs Balkwill's.  Mr Benjamin Balkwill died in Plymouth on September 10th 1847.

Charles Balkwill, a son of Mr Benjamin Balkwill (1772-1847), became a partner in his father's business, which then became Messrs Balkwill and Sons.  He withdrew following the death of his brother Joseph Hancock Balkwill in 1844.

Frederick Pryor Balkwill was a son of Mr Benjamin Balkwill (1772-1847) but left the business of Messrs Balkwill and Sons to be come a district manager of a life assurance company in the Midlands.

Joseph Hancock Balkwill, a son of Mr Benjamin Balkwill (1772-1847), became a partner in his father's business, which then became Messrs Balkwill and Sons.  He died in 1844 and the business,by now Messrs Balkwill and Company, was continued by his, Mrs Anne Balkwill, formerly Payne assisted by their son, Mr Alfred Payne Balkwill and two daughters, 21-years-old Miss Anne Hancock Balkwill and 19-years-old Miss Helen Balkwill.

Albert Casanova Ballard (1866-1942).

A Mr Barings, possibly of London, was an early partner in the Plymouth Bank.

Corporal Barry, of 27 Kynaston Road, Didcot, Berkshire, who was stationed at RAF Mount Batten, was a surviving member of the crew of the Blackburn Iris Flying Boat S238 that crashed in Plymouth Sound on Wednesday February 4th 1931.

William Bartlett was the Mayor of Plymouth for 1719-1720.

Sir Edward Bates (1816-1896), ship owner, was Conservative Member of Parliament for Plymouth between 1871and 1880 and between 1885 and 1892.

Richard Condy Bath was the Post Master at the Cecil Street Branch Post Office in 1878.

Frederick John Baudains (1872-1917) was born in Plymouth in 1872; he married Miss Elizabeth Jane Northmore, of Ivybridge, Devon, at Stoke Damerel Register Office in 1897; he was the founder of the upholstery business of Messrs Baudains (Plymouth) Limited.  Mr Frederick John Baudains was wounded in 1915 and believed killed in action overseas in 1917, during the Great War.

George Edward Henry Baudains (1887-1976) ran Messrs G E Baudains Limited and then Messrs Baudains (Plymouth) Limited until its closure.

George Francis Ferris Baudains (1911-1994), son of Mr George Edward Henry Baudains (1887-1976) and nephew of Mr Frederick John Baudains (1872-1917), was the last member of the family involved in running Messrs Baudains (Plymouth) Limited.

W M Baxter, of Plymouth, was appointed company secretary of the syndicate that purchased the New Palace Theatre of Varieties in October 1945.

Miss Elizabeth Mary Bayly (1870-1958).

John Bayly (1723-1811).

John Bayly (1804-1893).

Richard Bayly (1763-1836).

Richard Bayly (1877-1912).

Robert Bayly (1839-1901).

Richard Beach was the Mayor of Plymouth for 1767-1768.

John Beere was the Mayor of Plymouth for 1717-1718 but died and was replaced by Robert Hewer.

George Bellamy was Mayor of Plymouth for 1811-1812.

George David Bellamy (1833-1909).

Joseph Arthur Bellamy (1845-1918) became Mayor of Plymouth upon the death of Mr Richard Risdon on Tuesday July 16th 1901 and also served for 1901-1902.

Mrs Joan Bennett inherited from her husband, Mr Nicholas Bennett, 'a palace, dwelling house, and certain cellars and lofts within the Town of Plymouth'.  By her Will dated August 10th 1650 she passed the property, together with a sum of money, on to the Mayor and Commonalty of Plymouth, under the title of Bennett's Gift.

John Nicholas Bennett (c1803-1899).

Benjamin Berry replaced Richard Cowan as Mayor of Plymouth for 1711-1712 and also served as Mayor of Plymouth for 1726-1727.

Thomas Bewes was the Mayor of Plymouth for 1755-1756 and 1764-1765.

Cecil Edward Bewes (1816-1913).

Thomas Archer Bewes (1803-1889).

Jebus Bickle (1853-1941) was Thomas Bickle's older brother and a steam engine maker who joined Messrs Bickle Engineering Limited.  He died on Tuesday January 28th 1941 while staying with his daughter, Mrs D Attwood, at Llangattock, Crickhowell, Breconshire, where he was buried.

Jabus Trenery Bickle (1881-?), son of Mr Jabus Bickle and nephew of Mr Thomas Bickle became an apprentice steam engine maker with the business.

Thomas Edwin Bickle (1857-1898), who came from Hayle, in Cornwall, was one of the founders of Messrs Massey and Bickle, engineers, at the Plymouth Great Western Docks in 1887.  Both partners had previously worked at Messrs Harvey and Company, Hayle.  It became Messrs Bickle and Company Limited in 1891.  The principal productions were pumping and winding machinery, Chilean mills, Cornish crushers, air compressors and general machinery for the mining industry, amongst which was the Bickle Rock Drill.  They also manufactured marine and Lancashire boilers up to a maximum of 7 feet 6 inches in diameter by 30 feet in length.  There was a large graving dock within the Plymouth Great Western Docks, where the Company carried out marine engine and ship repairs.  About 270 men were employed at the end of the nineteenth century.  Mr Thomas Edwin Bickle died in East Stonehouse on Wednesday February 4th 1898, atthe very young age of 40 years.

Abraham Biggs was allegedly Plymouth's first Post Master in the early 17th century.  SEE Postal Service in Old Plymouth to 1839.

Robert Blackburne was allegedly Plymouth's Post Master in 1677.  SEE Postal Service in Old Plymouth to 1839.

James Bligh was the Mayor of Plymouth for 1709-1710.

John Thomas Bond (1854-1917) was Mayor of Plymouth for 1890-1891 and 1895-1896.

Frederick Edmund Bowden was the founder of the jewellers Messrs Bowden and Sons Limited, which his father had purchased for him from Mr Jabez Shepheard in 1869.  He had recently married Miss Hannah Moon.  In 1901 two of their sons, Mr Arthur Henry Bowden and Mr Sydney Edmund Bowden joined the firm.  Mr Bowden founded the Plymouth Pedestrian Club.  Mr Frederick Edmund Bowden died at his home, "South View", Mannamead, Plymouth, on Monday February 1st 1926.

Arthur Brand was born in Austria in 1884 but the family had arrived in Plymouth by 1890, when their his younger sister, Miss Emily Brand, was born.  After working for his father in his furniture business, Arthur set upon his own in 1907,as an ironmonger, plumber and gas fitter.  He married Miss Esther Rose Robins at the Plymouth Synagogue on March 4th 1908.  In 1932 he founded Messrs Arthur Brand Limited as a radio rental business.  Mr Arthur Brand died on Sunday May 15th 1960.

William Brendon was born at Lezant, Cornwall, on January 30th 1818.  He started his printing business in Tavistock in either 1837 or 1838.  In 1844 he married Miss Sarah Turner in Plymouth.  In 1849 he moved the printing business in to Plymouth, where in 1865 he was joined by his son, Mr William Turner Brendon, thus creating Messrs William Brendon and Son Limited.  Mr William Brendon died on Saturday April 8th 1882 and was buried at the Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Cemetery.

Joseph Brent was the Mayor of Plymouth for 1772-1773.

Samuel Brent was the Mayor of Plymouth for 1725-1726.

Thomas Cadwallader Brian (1822-1889).

Thomas Richard Arthur Briggs (1836-1891).

Edwin Broad (1888-1965) was Lord Mayor of Plymouth for 1955-1956.

Charles Pearce Brown (1885-1965).

Eldred Roberts Brown (1809-1885).

Joseph Pearce Brown (1850-1936) was Mayor of Plymouth for 1917-1918 and 1918-1919.

Joseph Pearce Brown (1850-1936).

James Bruce, of the Ancient Parish of Stoke Damerel, by his Will dated September 1st 1797, granted funds to the Reverend Doctor Robert Hawker, vicar of Charles' Church, Plymouth, and Messrs John Arthur and Robert Yeoland, churchwardens of Charles' Church, under the title of Bruce's Gift.  It was used to support the Household of Faith School.

James Bryant (1800-1875).

Francis  Freke Bulteel (1808-1882) was Mayor of Plymouth for 1856-1857.

Thomas Bulteel (1837-1908).

Thomas Hillersden Bulteel (1798-1878) was Mayor of Plymouth for 1846-1847.

Richard Burdwood was the Mayor of Plymouth for 1796-1797.

Charles Frederick Burnard (1816-1905) was born in Plymouth on July 18th 1816.  He married Miss Jane Bice Evans, of Fowey, Cornwall, at the Ancient Parish Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle, Plymouth, on May 21st 1839.  After attending the Royal College of Chemistry in London he managed a chemical works at Southdown, Millbrook, Cornwall.  In 1854 Mr Burnard with Mr John Williams Lack founded Messrs Burnard, Lack and Company, manufacturers of artificial manure under the name of the Phoenix Chemical Works, at Coxside, where they were  joined by Mr William Henry Alger (1836-1912) and the firm became Messrs Burnard, Lack and Alger.  After the sudden death of Mr Lack in 1872, the business became Messrs Burnard and Alger, under which title the history of the firm will be found.  Mr Charles Frederick Burnard retired in 1880 and became the Mayor of Plymouth for 1881-1882.  He died on the evening of Friday November 10th 1905.

Robert Burnard (1776-1864) was the Clerk to the Plymouth Guardians of the Poor and father of Mr Charles Frederick Burnard noted above.

Robert Burnard (1848-1920) was the son of Mr Charles Frederick Burnard noted above and became associated with the preservation of Dartmoor.

James Burnell was Mayor of Plymouth for 1859-1860.

John Burnell (1793-1864).

William Burnell (1757-1833).

William Burnell (c1786-1876) was Mayor of Plymouth for 1848-1849.

Ernest Charles Burrow (1911-2009), a Cornishman, joined Mr Shelton at Messrs Balkwill and Company in 1930 after leaving school at the age of 15 to earn money to support his parents and after studying at night school and the Plymouth School of Pharmacy he became a registered pharmaceutical chemist in 1937.  Around this time the business became Messrs Balkwill and Company (Chemists) Limited.  Their premises were destroyed by fire on the night of March 21st 1941 and they moved to number 5 Bedford Row, Tavistock Road.  Although Mr Burrow was called up for war service on several occasions, Mr Shelton repeatedly got it deferred on the grounds that Mr Burrow's work was important to the civilian community in the City.  However, he did serve as an Air Raid Warden ands a Gas Identification Officer.  In 1951 the business opened a branch at 171 Pike Road, Efford, and in 1958 moved back into the City Centre in Cornwall Street.  Eventually Mr Burrow became the sole owner and gave talks on the local radio as well as providing fascinating displays of pill making and other pharmaceutical skills at the Merchant House in Saint Andrew Street.  The business ceased trading in 1974,when Mr Burrow retired through ill health.  Mr Ernest Charles Burrow died on January 5th 2009 at the age of 98 years.

John Butter (1791-1877).