OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: January 05, 2020
Webpage updated: August 01, 2020

        

WHO WAS WHO IN OLD PLYMOUTH

SURNAMES - L

Alice Maud 'Geraldine' Lamb (1897-1967).

John Lane is alleged to have given a bequest to Plymouth Corporation in 1778 or 1779, which was commemorated by a tablet in the old Council Chamber. This was known as Lane's Gift.

John Clark Langmead was Mayor of Plymouth for 1802-1803.

Philip Langmead (1739-1816) was Mayor of Plymouth for 1800-1801.

William Langmead was Mayor of Plymouth for 1808-1809.

H T Langsford, of Tavistock, Devon, was a member of the syndicate that purchased the New Palace Theatre of Varieties in October 1945.

John Lanyon, by his will dated September 15th 1674, gave 50 to the Old Church Almshouses (otherwise known as the Old Church Twelve's) 'for bettering the revenue thereof' and also 300 to Mr William Harper and seven others for the building of an almshouse for the use of the poor residing in the parish of Charles, Plymouth.  These were known as the New Church Almshouses.  This was known, in part,as the John Lanyon Charity.

Alfred Arnold Lascelles, a native of Herefordshire, founded the Plymouth opticians Messrs Lascelles.

Gerald Alfred Lascelles, son of Mr Alfred Arnold Lascelles, above, continued the business of Messrs Lascelles.

Isaac Latimer (1813-1898) was Mayor of Plymouth for 1871-1872.

Jonah Lavington was Mayor of Plymouth for 1705-1706.

William Law was Mayor of Plymouth for 1892-1893, 1893-1894 and 1894-1895.

 

Miss Edith Jessie Lear was a daughter of Mr Richard Henry Lear.  SEE Lear Brothers Limited.

Edward Lear, the son of Mr Thomas Sullock Lear, married Miss Susanna Legg at the Ancient Parish Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle on Christmas Day 1847.  He was a tallow chandler journeyman in Whimple Street, Plymouth.  Edward Lear died on June 8th 1875.  See Lear Brothers Limited.

Edward Thomas Lear was a son of Mr Richard Henry Lear, born in 1879.  He died on  December 5th 1940.  SEE Lear Brothers Limited.

Frederick Sullock Lear, the fourth son of Edward and Susanna Lear, set up a business by the name of Messrs Lear, Browne and Company, woollen merchants.  He died in November 1911.  SEE Lear Brothers Limited.

Jessy Lear SEE Lear Brothers Limited.

Miss Mabel Elizabeth Lear was a daughter of Mr Richard Henry Lear.  SEE Lear Brothers Limited.

Richard Henry Lear married Miss Jessie Powe at the Anglican Church of Saint Luke the Evangelist, Plymouth, on July 26th 1876. He was a tallow chandler.  SEE Lear Brothers Limited.

Richard Henry Lear junior was born in 1881 to Mr and Mrs Richard Henry Lear.  SEE Lear Brothers Limited.

Sidney Lear, the third son of Edward and Susanna Lear, was an ironmonger's assistant in 1881.  [Census 1881]

Thomas Sullock Lear married Miss Ann Lethbridge at the Ancient Parish Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle on October 2nd 1819.  [DFHS/FMP]

Thomas Sullock Lear was a tallow chandler and soap maker in Old Town Street, Plymouth, in 1836.  He died in 1848.  SEE Lear Brothers Limited.

Walter Samuel Powe Lear was born to Mr and Mrs Richard Henry Lear in 1882.  He died on February 12th 1962, after the business had been sold.  SEE Lear Brothers Limited.

 

Edward Stanley Leatherby (1884-1948) was Mayor of Plymouth for 1933-1934.

Francis George Leatherby (1887-1957) was Lord Mayor of Plymouth for 1949-1950.

A Mr Lee was a partner in the Plymouth Bank.

James Henry Leggo founded the Plymouth laundry business of Messrs Leggo-Wilson Limited.

Miss Winifred Ethel Leverton (1910-2001) sold wools and needlework items at number 1 Hyde Park Terrace, Hyde Park Road, during the 1930s, 40s and early 50s.

Mrs Phoebe Levi by her will dated April 10th 1876, gave to the treasurer of the Plymouth Synagogue the sum of 100, of which the interest earned were to be spent in annual offerings in memory of her late husband and herself.  This was known as Mrs Phoebe Levi's Gift.

Aaron Levy, son of Mr Abraham Levy, below, was a jeweller and silversmith in Plymouth.

Abraham Levy, a Cornishman by birth, was the founder of the Plymouth pawnbroking, jewellery and silversmith's business that became Messrs Levy and Sloggett Limited.

Markes Levy, a son of Abraham Levy, above, founded a watch and clock-making business in Plymouth.

John Lidstone founded the bill-posting and advertising agent's business of Messrs Lidstone Billing Company Limited.

Thomas Henry Lidstone, bill-poster and advertising agent, son of Mr John Lidstone, above, continued the Plymouth business of Messrs Lidstone Billing Company Limited.

Walter Reginald Littleton (1879-1964) was Lord Mayor of Plymouth for 1936-1937.

 

Mrs Ann Lockyer (1756-1820) widow of Mr Thomas Lockyer (1756-1806), was buried at Wembury Parish Church on December 14th 1820.

Ann Marshall Lockyer, second daughter of Thomas and Ann Lockyer, was baptised at the Ancient Parish Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle on November 8th 1782.

Charles Christopher Lockyer, son of Thomas and Ann Lockyer, was born on January 19th 1795 and baptised with Jane Edwards Lockyer and Henry Frederick Lockyer at the Ancient Parish Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle on July 15th 1803.

Edmund Lockyer (1750-1836) was Mayor of Plymouth for 1803-1804, 1821-1822 and 1824-1825.

Edmund Lockyer (1782-1816), son of Mr Edmund Lockyer (1750-1836) and Mayor of Plymouth for 1810-1811.

Edmund Lockyer (1784-1860), third son of Thomas and Ann Lockyer, was born on January 21st 1784 and baptised at the Ancient Parish Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle on August 17th 1784.  He began his military career in June 1803 as an Ensign in 19th Regiment.  His promotions were quick: to Lieutenant  and Captain in 1805 and Major in1819.  He joined the 57th Regiment in August 1824 and was sent to Sydney, Australia, where he arrived with his wife and ten in April 1825.  His first task was to explore the upper reaches of the Brisbane River, where he discovered coal deposits in the riverbanks.  On January 21st 1827, his 43rd birthday, he formally claimed Western Australia for the British Crown by raising the Union Jack and the troops firing off a feu de joie.  He returned to Sydney, sold his commission and settled there, where he was appointed the Usher of the Black Rod at the New  South Wales Legislative Council and formed the Sydney Volunteer Rifle Corps.  He married his second wife, Elizabeth Colston, on November18th 1854.  Edmund Lockyer died at his home "York House" in Bay Street, Woolloomooloo, of the effects of influenza on June 10th 1860 and was buried at Camperdown Cemetery, Sydney.

Mrs Eleanor Lockyer, wife of Mr Edmund Lockyer (1750-1836) was buried at the Ancient Parish Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle on May 23rd 1802.

Eleanor Margaret Penrose Lockyer, daughter of Mr Edmund Lockyer (1782-1816) and his wife Eleanor, formerly Penrose, was baptised at the Ancient Parish  Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle on January 24th 1784.  At the same Church she married Mr Samuel Pym on May 23rd 1802.

Eliza Maria Lockyer, daughter of Thomas and Ann Lockyer, was baptised at the Ancient Parish Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle on August 5th 1792.

Henry Frederick Lockyer, son of Thomas and Ann Lockyer, was born on April 8th 1796 and baptised with Charles Christopher Lockyer and Jane Edwards Lockyer at the Ancient Parish Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle on July 15th 1803.  He served in the British Army and was Colonel of the 90th Regiment at Malta in 1847.

Jane Edwards Lockyer, daughter of Thomas and Ann Lockyer, was born on June 2nd 1793 and baptised with Charles Christopher Lockyer and Henry Frederick Lockyer at the Ancient Parish Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle on July15th 1803.

Nancy Miles Lockyer, eldest daughter of Thomas and Ann Lockyer, was baptised at the Ancient Parish Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle on October 18th 1778.

Nicholas Lockyer (1781-1847).

Nicholas Lockyer was Mayor of Plymouth for 1843-1844.

Nicolas (sic) Lockyer, second son of Thomas and Ann Lockyer, was baptised at the Ancient Parish Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle on July 23rd 1781.

Orlando Lockyer, son of Thomas and Ann Lockyer, was baptised with William Lockyer at the Ancient Parish Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle on August 4th 1787.

Thomas Lockyer (1756-1806).

Thomas Lockyer, (1780-1854) was Mayor of Plymouth for 1806-1807.

William Lockyer, son of Thomas and Ann Lockyer, was baptised with Orlando Lockyer at the Ancient Parish Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle on August 4th 1787..

William Lockyer was Mayor of Plymouth for 1815-1816.

 

Ivor Clarence Lowe (1917-?) was Lord Mayor of Plymouth for 1968-1969.

Jack Lester Luce (1913-2002) was Lord Mayor of Plymouth for 1972-1973.

William Luscombe was Mayor of Plymouth for 1860-1861 and 1869-1870.

Philip E Lyne was Mayor of Plymouth for 1844-1845.