Webpage created: October 04, 2019
Webpage updated: January 04, 2020
PHILIP LANGMEAD (1739-1816)
Philip Langmead was baptised at Kingston Parish Church, in South Devon, on July 20th 1739. His parents were Mr Philip Langmead and the former Miss Thomasin Revell, who had married at Ermington Parish Church in 1737.
He apparently went into partnership with a Mr William Clarke and it was presumably they who owned the Hoegate Brewery in what was then called Broad Hoe Lane, later Hoegate Street. Mr Langmead lived at Hoegate House. He married Mr Clarke's sister, Miss Elizabeth Clarke, at Dartmouth in about 1760.
In 1795 he purchased the Derriford Estate and at some point moved to Elfordleigh to live.
Mr Langmead was chosen as Mayor of Plymouth in 1800-1801 and elected as Member of Parliament in 1802. He resigned his seat in 1806, apparently disillusioned.
In the meantime, in July 1804 he had presented the Town with its first purpose-built lifeboat. Sadly, there is no record of this worthy gift ever being utilised.
Mr Philip Langmead apparently died on August 8th 1816 and was buried at Eggbuckland Parish Church on August 15th 1816. He was stated to be living at Teignmouth at that time.
He and Elizabeth had two children. Mr John Clarke Langmead, who was baptised at the Princes Street Independent Chapel, Plymouth Dock on October 9th 1764, was Mayor of Plymouth in 1802-03 but died before his father, being buried at Eggbuckland Parish Church on April 7th 1815. The younger son, Mr William Langmead, who was also baptised at the Princes Street Independent Chapel, Plymouth Dock, on June 21st 1772, became Mayor of Plymouth in 1808-09.
The Hoegate Brewery was sold at auction on January 8th 1824 and purchased by Mr Edward Scott and his brother, the ancestors of Sir Robert Falcon Scott (1868-1912) and Sir Peter Scott.