Webpage created: February 10, 2019
Webpage updated: April 28, 2020
Whimple Street in 1765, with Evelegh's Guildhall and Pike Street.
Whimple Street linked Bedford Street with Looe Street, formerly Pike Street.
Wimple Street (1765),or Whimple Street (1820), ran from the Old Town Conduit eastwards to the old Guildhall at the top of Market Street, where it also joined Pike Street.
Numbers 20, 21 and 22 Whimple Street in June 1955.
It is said to be so named because it was the place where whimples, or women's hoods, were sold. The Street was first recorded in 1493.
Whitfeld tells us that it was at one time Plymouth's answer to Booksellers' Row. He also states that Benjamin Haydon, the artist, was born in the Street to Mr Benjamin Robert Haydon, a prosperous printer, publisher and stationer.
In October 1850 one Joseph Spooner was advertising fashions at number 26 Whimple Street, then known as "Tuscan House".
In July 1908 it was announced that the Great Western Railway Company were to open a town office in Whimple Street. This later became the office for the Western National Omnibus Company Limited, whose motor bus services terminated at Saint Andrew's Cross, to the left of the picture above.
A century later, in September 1949, a Mr S J Williams, cafe owner, was paying rent of £300 per annum for the tenancy of numbers 21 and 22 Whimple Street.
Curiously, no occupants were recorded living in Whimple Street in 1812.
For a list of the occupants of Whimple Street in 1852 CLICK HERE.