Webpage created: January 05, 2020
Webpage updated: August 05, 2020
SURNAMES - M
Mark Walter Madge was the Post Master at the North Hill Branch Post Office in 1878.
James Madock, merchant, who died in Oporto in 1727, bequeathed to the poor of Plymouth, his native town, £1,500. This was known as Madock's Bequest.
Charles Markes (1789-1854), originally from Warminster, Wiltshire, was a Clerk to Miss Mary Rivers (1737-1833) and later succeeded her as Post Master at Plymouth. SEE Postal Service in Old Plymouth to 1839.
George Marshall was Mayor of Plymouth for 1782-1783.
Mrs Jacquetta Marshall (1878-1961) was Lord Mayor of Plymouth for 1950-1951.
William Marshall (1814-1882), Solicitor and Superintendent of the West of England Fire and Life Assurance Company's Fire Brigade.
William Martin, by his Will dated October 2nd 1759, gave his house in Buckwell Street, Plymouth, to another Mr William Martin who, by an unattested codicil to his Will, dated July 15th 1761, was to give ten 3d loaves of bread every week to be distributed every Saturday by the proprietor of the house, at his own expense, to ten poor families of the Town, 'not under pay'. This was known as Martin's Gift.
William Martyn was Mayor of Plymouth for 1745-1746.
Henry George Mason (1890-1969) was Lord Mayor of Plymouth for 1944-1945 and 1962-1963.
Colonel T McCready, of Plymouth, was appointed solicitor of the syndicate that purchased the New Palace Theatre of Varieties in October 1945.
Hubert Moses Medland (1881-1964) was Lord Mayor of Plymouth for 1935-1936.
Ann Eliza Mends, by her Will dated August 19th 1820, gave to the trustees of the Batter Street Congregational Chapel in Batter Street, Plymouth, the sum of £100 to be invested and the income used to support The Benevolent Institution for the Education of Children of the Poor.
William James Mew (1885-1949) started work with Mr Robert Edward Humm circa 1900 by helping him construct the first motor-cycle to be seen in Plymouth. He remained with Messrs R Humm and Company Limited as head taxi driver of their Sunbeam hire cars. Elevated to chauffer, he drove Their Majesties King George VI and Queen Elizabeth on their visit to the Borough and also His Royal Highness, the Duke of Windsor. Mr William James Mew, of 1 Crest Hill, Beacon Park, Plymouth, died on Thursday August 4th 1949 at the age of 64 years. The funeral, led by the Reverend R C Christopher, vicar of Charles-with-Saint Luke Parish, was held at the Anglican Church of Saint Augustine of Canterbury on Monday August 8th 1949 and he was cremated at Efford Crematorium.
Thomas Miller was Mayor of Plymouth for 1817-1818.
John Leslie Mills was Lord Mayor of Plymouth for 1985-1986.
Derek Mitchell (1927-2003) was Lord Mayor of Plymouth for 1983-1984.
Ralph Mitchell was Mayor of Plymouth for 1775-1776.
Richard Jeffery Mitchell (1872-1936) was the Mayor of Plymouth for 1925-1926.
James Moore was Mayor of Plymouth for 1849-1850.
John Moore was Mayor of Plymouth for 1834-1835 and 1847-1848.
William Foster Moore (1815-1886) was Mayor of Plymouth for 1874-1875, 1875-1876 and 1876-1877.
John Moorshead was Mayor of Plymouth for 1753-1754 and 1762-1763
Ralph Vernon Morrell was Lord Mayor of Plymouth for 1981-1982.
John Morris, By his Will dated September 5th 1828, gave to the vicar and churchwardens of Charles' Church the sum of £100 to be invested and the dividends used to support the Household of Faith School. This was known as John Morris's Gift.
Richard Morris, by his Will dated November 8th 1844, gave £100 to be invested in Government securities by the trustees named in his will. This was known as Richard Morris's Gift.
Francis A Morrish was Mayor of Plymouth for 1880-1881.
James John Hamlyn Moses (1873-1946) was Mayor of Plymouth for 1926-1927 and the first Mayor representing the Labour Party.
The Plymouth business house of Messrs W Mumford Limited
Joseph Mumford (1835-1892) founded the Plymouth business of Messrs Mumford and Sons, coach builders and wheelwrights.
William Mumford, one of the sons of Mr Joseph Mumford (1835-1892), (above), founded the Plymouth motor engineering business of Messrs W Mumford Limited.