Webpage created: January 04, 2020
Webpage updated: August 04, 2020
SURNAMES - H
Elizabeth Hall, spinster, believed to have been the sister of Jane Hall and Laetitia Hall, was in residence at Manadon House in 1802 according to a Deed of Appointment held by the Plymouth Archives.
Humphrey Hall was the last of the Hall family to be Lord of the Manors of Weston Peverell and Sampford Spiney. Although he died at Manadon House, he was buried with his wife beneath the chancel at the Ancient Parish Church of Saint Mary, Sampford Spiney, on October 2nd 1801. His co-heirs were his three daughters, a recipe for trouble if ever there was one.
Jane Hall, wife of Humphrey Hall, of Manadon, (above), formerly Miss Jane Saint John, daughter of Lord John Saint John, of Betso, Bedfordshire, was buried beneath the chancel at the Ancient Parish Church of Saint Mary, Sampford Spiney, on July 17th 1799.
Jane Hall was the twin daughter of Humphrey Hall and his wife Jane. She was born at Manadon House on December 4th 1772 and baptised alongside her sister, Laetitia, at Pennycross Chapel.
Laetitia Hall, otherwise spelt "Letitia", was one of twin daughters of Mr Humphrey Hall, of Manadon, in the Tything of Weston Peverel, and the Parish of Sampford Spiney. She was born at Manadon House on December 4th 1772 and baptised at Pennycross Chapel. She married Mr John Alexander Parlby (1769-1849), son of Mr Thomas Parlby (1727-1802), of East Stonehouse, on September 29th 1792 at Saint Mary's Church, Southampton, Hampshire. When she finally inherited Mandon her husband became Lord of the Manors of Weston Peverell and Sampford Spiney. They had one son, John Hall Parlby (1805-1899). Mrs Letitia Parlby died at Mandon House on May 31st 1848, aged 75 years, and was buried in Saint Pancras Churchyard on Jun e 7th 1848.
William Henry Ham, a Yorkshireman by birth, acquired a Plymouth engraving and copperplate printing business that became Messrs W H Ham Limited.
Stephen Hammick was Mayor of Plymouth for 1790-1791.
Charles Harding, the eldest son of Mr John Harding, founded the Plymouth business of Messrs Charles Harding (Plymouth )Limited.
John Harding founded the Plymouth business of Messrs Harding and Sons Limited.
Francis W Harris was Mayor of Plymouth for 1891-1892.
John Hawker was Mayor of Plymouth for 1805-1806.
William H Hawker was Mayor of Plymouth for 1825-1826.
Gerard Alexander William Heath (1894-1982), of London, was a member of the syndicate that purchased the New Palace Theatre of Varieties in October 1945. Mr Heath had been responsible for booking attractions at the Theatre since circa 1933 and under the new management became its Managing Director. He died in Henley, Oxfordshire, on January 13th 1982.
William George Heath, originally from Surrey, was the founder of Messrs W G Heath and Company Limited, electrical contractors.
John Helier was Mayor of Plymouth for 1733-1734.
A Mr Herbert was a partner ion the Plymouth Bank.
Robert Hewer was Mayor of Plymouth for 1708-1709; replaced John Beere when he died and thus became Mayor of Plymouth for 1717-1718; also served as Mayor of Plymouth for 1732-1733 and 1737-1738.
Francis Hicks was Mayor of Plymouth for 1865-1866 and 1866-1867.
Richard Hicks was Mayor of Plymouth for 1857-1858.
Andrew Hill was Mayor of Plymouth for 1793-1794.
Edward Hoblyn was Mayor of Plymouth for 1744-1745.
Thomas Vere Hodgson (1864-1926) was the Curator of the Borough of Plymouth Museum and Art Gallery until his death on Tuesday September 21st 1926. At the age of 50 years, he married widow Mrs Ann Joanna Himing at the Anglican Church of Saint Matthias the Apostle on March 14th 1914.
Alexander Hubbard was Mayor of Plymouth for 1868-1869.
Arthur Humm was a son of Mr Robert Edward Humm and his wife Polly Kate Humm and was born in July 1909. He became a fitter at Messrs R Humm and Company Limited. After the business ceased in the 1960s he became a private driving instructor at number 43 Torrington Place, North Road, Plymouth. At some point he moved to Surrey, where he died in 1993 although his funeral was held at Efford Cemetery on December 24th 1993.
Doris Humm was the second daughter of Mr Robert Edward Humm and his wife Polly Kate Humm. She was born in 1907, never married, and died on July 18th 1985.
Edward Humm was the second child and eldest son of Mr Robert Edward Humm and his wife Polly Kate Humm. He was born on December 23rd 1905 and became the Works' Manager at Messrs R Humm and Company Limited, Alexander Road, Plymouth. Edward Humm died in the Kingsbridge district in 1993.
Lovell Humm was the youngest child to be born to Mr Robert Edward Humm and his wife Polly Kate Humm in 1920 but died at the age of just 3 years in 1924.
Mabel Humm was born to Mr and Mrs Robert Edward Humm in 1912. She married Mr James Halliday in 1936.
Percy Middleton Humm was the son of Mr and Mrs Robert Edward Humm and was born in July 1908. He came an electrical engineer and tester at Messrs R Humm and Company Limited, Alexander Road, Plymouth. After the business ceased in the 1960s he became a private driving instructor at number 1 Wolseley Terrace, Houndiscombe Road, Mutley, Plymouth and died on February 3rd 1996. He was cremated at Efford Crematorium on February 9th 1996.
Mrs Polly Kate Humm, widow of Mr Robert Edward Humm, was buried at Efford Cemetery on February1st 1952.
Reginald Humm was the youngest son of Mr Robert Edward Humm and his wife Polly Kate Humm but he died shortly after being born in 1911.
Robert Edward Humm (1871-1938), a Londoner by birth, came to Plymouth circa 1890 as a bicycle engineer. While lodging at the Woodman Inn, King Street, he fell in love with the landlord's daughter, Miss Polly Kate Westacott (1877-1952), and married her at the Anglican Church of Saint Michael, Devonport, on September 1st 1902. He became a motor engineer and in 1893 founded the firm of Messrs R Humm and Company Limited. Mr Robert Edward Humm died suddenly on Thursday August 4th 1938 and after a short service was buried at Efford Cemetery on Sunday August 7th 1938.
Vera Kate Humm was the eldest child and eldest daughter of Mr Robert Edward Humm and his wife Polly Kate Humm. Born in August 1903 she never married and died in the Torbay district in 1994.
Freeman William Hunt, originally from Aldeburgh, Suffolk, became a partner of Mr Alfred Payne Balkwill in the local business of Messrs Balkwill and Company, chemists, in 1890. He had gained valuable experience with the business of Messrs Savoy and Moore, of New Bond Street, London, chemists to the Royal Family, and later had become a partner in Messrs Clare and Hunt, at Scarborough, Yorkshire. When Mr Balkwill retired in 1911 Mr Hunt was joined by Mr Bernard T R Shelton but they retained the name of the business. Mr Hunt retired in 1924. Mr Freeman William Hunt died at Paignton, Devon, on Thursday August 1st 1935.
Henry Hurrell (1852-1939) was Mayor of Plymouth for 1902-1903, 1903-1904 and 1911-1912.
William Hurrill was Mayor of Plymouth for 1713-1714.