Webpage created: May 01, 2020
Webpage updated: May 01, 2020
CHARLES MARKES (1789-1854)
Charles Markes was baptised at the Anglican Church of Saint Denys, Warminster, Wiltshire, on March 18th 1789, the son of Mr William Markes and his wife, Elizabeth. Both his father and sister worked at the Post Office in Warminster.
He worked at the Post Office in Warminster for five years. He then moved to Exeter, where at the Anglican Church of Saint Paul he married Miss Maria Norrington, on April 23rd 1810. At Exeter he was on duty every other night. He remained in Exeter for four years before coming to Plymouth to work as Clerk to Miss Mary Rivers (1737-1833), the Plymouth Post Mistress. On May 1st 1818 he and Maria, both of Bilbury Street, where the Post Office was situated, baptised a son, Charles Ferris Markes, at the Anglican Church of Charles the Martyr, in Plymouth.
When Miss Rivers died in 1833 a petition was sent by the businessmen of Plymouth requesting that Mr Markes be made the Post Master at Plymouth. Glowing words of praise were made on his behalf. The request was successful.
Charles Markes was died in service on March 9th 1854 and was buried at the Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Cemetery on March 14th 1854.
His widow, Mrs Mary Ann Markes, was living at 4 Gascoyne Cottages in 1861.
Charles Ferris Markes died in Plymouth in 1863.
Mrs Mary Ann Markes died in Plymouth on October 9th 1882 at the age of 70 years and was buried at the same Cemetery as her husband.