Webpage created: January 24, 2019
Webpage updated: January 24, 2019
Frankfort Street ran westerly from the junction of Bedford Street and Russell Street to the junction of Courtenay Street, King Street, and Cambridge Street.
As we can see from the above extract from Benjamin Donn's "Plan of the Town and Citadel of Plymouth", produced in 1765, the Pig Market used to be just inside the Frankfort Gate. Prior to Bedford Street being developed this had become Frankfort Place. Outside of Frankfort Gate was the Globe Hotel, and the roadway to the right ran along what was then Stonehouse Lane to Stonehouse Bridge. This Lane later became King Street. As the number and size of carriages and wagons got larger and heavier so all the Town Gates began to cause obstructions to the traffic and were gradually removed. Frankfort Gate was demolished in 1783 and the area outside developed quickly after that, Frankfort Street being a logical name for the main road.There is a reference in Worth's "Calendar of the Plymouth Municipal Records" to a deed which he summarizes as 'Frankfort gate house newly built, lately in the occupation of Thomas Gill, 1652'.
By 1812 Frankfort Street had appeared but there was also a Frankfort Row, which Whitfeld states later formed part of Frankfort Street.
A drawing of the old Frankfort Gate, Plymouth.
At the western end of Bedford Street stood, until 1899, the Globe Hotel. Frankfort Street is on the right.
The Globe Hotel is in the centre of this picture, which also shows Kerswill's premises in Frankfort Street. Russell Street went off to the left of the picture.
A closer view of Kerswill's premises.
Frankfort Street was almost completely destroyed during the Second World War, with only the brand new offices of the Western Morning News Company Limited surviving. These are still standing in New George Street.
For a list of the occupants of Frankfort Row and Frankfort Street in 1812 CLICK HERE.
For a list of the occupants of Frankfort Street in 1852 CLICK HERE.