Webpage created: January 21, 2019
Webpage updated: January 21, 2019
The Pig Market is clearly shown on Benjamin Donn's "Plan of the Town and Citadel of Plymouth" dated 1765.
The Pig Market was on the western side of town, just inside the Frankfort Gate. Whether this indicated that there were more pig breeders in East Stonehouse and Devonport is not known but a breeder on the eastern side of the Borough, at Cattedown, would have had to herd his pigs right through the centre of Town, past the Guildhall and Saint Andrew's Church to get them to market.
A property in the Pig Market area became the first meeting place for the local Baptist congregation.
As the Town was improved over the years, the Pig Market was transformed into the Borough's premier shopping venue, Bedford Street.