Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: August 02, 2017.
Webpage updated: August 02, 2017




By an indenture dated April 8th 1847, enrolled on July 15th 1847, Frances Elizabeth White conveyed to ten trustees a piece of ground and buildings in Green Street, Plymouth, for the use of the Plymouth Soup Society.  Provision was also made that in the event of the Soup Society being suspended or discontinued, the money from the property could be used to supply the poor with meal, bread, coals or blankets instead.  The vicars of Saint Andrew's and Charles were among the trustees.

The house was at number 18 Green Street while an adjacent building was used as the soup kitchen.  The house was rented at 10 per year to the lady who superintended the soup kitchen.  Any money left over after paying for repairs, rates and insurance, was placed on deposit with the Plymouth and South Devon Savings Bank in an account held in the name of the Society's treasurer, Mr A G Bewes.  In 1908 there was 92 0s 5d in the account, earning a gross yearly interest of 2 6s.