Webpage created: June 08, 2020
Webpage updated: June 08, 2020
THREE TOWNS UNITED SERVICE VETERANS ASSOCIATION
The Three Towns United Service Veterans Association was founded in Plymouth in January 1908, when Sir C H Radford was the Mayor of the Borough. It followed the formation of a national Association formed in 1907 at the instigation of Lord Roberts for men who had taken part in the Crimean War (1853-1856) and Indian Mutiny (1857-1858) campaigns. Ten veterans of those campaigns were taken out of the Workhouse in 1908 to be taken care of by the Association.
Membership was subsequently extended to those who had fought in the First Opium War (1839-1842) and the Balkan Wars of 1912 and 1913.
Captain W E Norris was elected as the secretary of the Three Towns Association.
Although initially a Plymouth organisation, the fourth Annual General Meeting on February 15th 1912 was held at Devonport.
Major John Bayly was chairman in 1914. At March 31st 1914 the Association in Plymouth was taking care of 54 former members of the Royal Navy, 21 former members of the Army and 17 former members of the Royal Marines. Of the original intake in 1908 only three men were surviving at the time of the seventh AGM in February 1915.
By March 1915, following the amalgamation of the Three Towns, the name had been changed to the Plymouth United Service Veterans Association.