Webpage created: February 27, 2021
Webpage updated: February 27, 2021
CHAPEL OF THE HOLY TRINITY
The Chapel of the Holy Trinity was located in what later became Budshead Road at Crownhill. It was a chapel-of-ease to Saint Budeaux Parish Church and was never formerly consecrated.
It was erected at a cost of £538 at the instigation of Captain Edmund Denman, Royal Navy, who lived at what was then known as Knacker's Knowle. Mr Robert Ambrose of Plymouth was the builder.
Troops stationed at Crownhill Fort were apparently marched to the Chapel every Sunday but when the Garrison Church of Saint Alban the Martyr, at Plumer Barracks, was opened Holy Trinity Chapel fell out of favour.
It was closed at the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939 and the small congregation transferred to Saint Christopher's Hall in Crownhill village. The Bishop of Exeter then appointed three trustees to arrange for its sale. It was acquired by Plymouth City Council, who in December 1940 removed the pews and organ, installed brick wall to create rooms and converted the single-storey Chapel into a two-storey first-aid station for the Air Raid Precautions staff to replace the one then housed in the Crownhill Masonic Hall.
The building was later used as a youth club and then became a store for the Plymouth Library Service. It has long been demolished.