Webpage created: July 03, 2017.
Webpage updated: July 03, 2017
ANGLICAN CHURCH OF SAINT SAVIOUR
The Anglican Church of Saint Saviour was located on Lambhay Hill, The Hoe, Plymouth. The Church was destroyed during the Second World War but the Church Hall is still standing.
Built in 1870 as a chapel of ease to the Anglican Church of the Holy Trinity, the Church was enlarged in 1883 by the addition of a north aisle when the parish was formed from Holy Trinity. It was a stone building in the Early English style and consisted of chancel, nave, aisles, and a western tower. It had over 530 sittings.
A Sunday School was held in the Church until the number of pupils had increased so much that a separate building was required. The vicar, the Reverend J Jones, set about raising the funds and a Mr C King drew up the plans. Messrs Palk and Partridge erected the two-storey building of local limestone with Ham Hill stone dressings attached to the Church. There were two school-rooms, boys and girls being segregated, of course, each being 40 feet by 18 feet and each having a separate class-room of 18 feet by 12 feet. The bell tower contained a single three-ton bell cast free of charge by Messrs Willoughby Brothers. The building would be used on weekdays as a mission room and for public gatherings.
The Sunday school was officially opened by the vicar of the Church of the Holy Trinity, the Reverend F Barnes, on Tuesday July 20th 1886. Miss Harris played the harmonium and the ladies and girls from the Female Orphan Asylum in Lockyer Street led the singing. It was hoped that the outstanding debt of £550 would be defrayed by sales at a large bazaar held afterwards in the upper school-room.
Only the school-room and hall survived and in 1943 the upper room was converted into a chapel, where services were held in 1953. The property was transferred to Plymouth City Council in due course and was in 2015 leased by the Robert Lenkiewicz Foundation to hold the Lenkiewicz Library.