Webpage created: February 27, 2021
Webpage updated: February 27, 2021
AGLICAN CHURCH OF SAINT CHAD, BISHOP OF YORK
After the re-dedication of the old Church of Saint Chad at Morice Town, Devonport, this new Church of Saint Chad, Bishop of York, was erected at Whitleigh Green, on the northern outskirts of Plymouth.
It is built of multi-coloured sand-faced bricks with stone dressings to the windows and doorways. There is a squat, central tower.
Building work commenced in the summer of 1954 and was completed in 1956.
Designed by Messrs Fouracre, Stilwell & Luxton, of Alexandra Road, Plymouth, the Church is to the west of the central tower and the hall to the east. The nave is 62 feet long, 31 feet 6 inches wide and 25 feet high. The aisles are between piers, the outer walls and high sanctuary extending to the tower. There are vestries for the clergy and the choir, a choir gallery, baptistery, and a side chapel.
The church hall is 45 feet long by 31 feet wide and 15 feet high. There are cloakrooms, a committee room and a kitchen.