Webpage created: February 13, 2019
Webpage updated: February 14, 2019
In 1690 a William Rowe, merchant, left the 3 acres 3 roods and 27 perches of Shute Park in trust for the distribution of rents and profits annually in clothing to the poor of Plymouth. The distribution had to take place within ten days of Christmas Day. His bequests also supported the Plymouth Public Free Schools. More details are given in William Rowe's Charity.
Following the expiry of a lease, the land was let again in 1824 on a 99-years lease for cottage dwellings. The dwellings in Rowe Street and Glanville Street were erected as a result.
For a list of the occupants of Rowe Street in 1852 CLICK HERE.
For a list of the occupants of Rowe Street in 1935 CLICK HERE.