Webpage created: April 26, 2021
Webpage updated: April 27, 2021
On Benjamin Donn's map of Plymouth of 1765
Greene Street (sic)
Green Street was so narrow that on this 1890s map it is not named at all.
Green Street ran from the junction of Ebrington Street and Ham Street southwards to the junction of Lower Broad Street and Bittons Side (sic) in 1765; Bilbury Street and Briton Side in the 1890s; and Treville Street and Exeter Street much later. Martyn's Gate, one of the Town Gates, was at the bottom end of the Street, across Treville Street.
Whitfeld in his "Plymouth and Devonport in War and Peace" quotes from the John Harris manuscript that: 'There is a traditionary account that from Martin's Gate up the whole of Green Street was the ancient wall of the town as far as that Street goes. There are no remains [of the wall] left.'
At the northern end were the Lanyon Almshouses and the Corporation Almshouses, both of which remain today. Further down, at numbers 13, 14 and 15, was the mineral water manufactory of Messrs W Biscombe and Sons Limited; at number 18 the Plymouth Soup Kitchen; and below that the Seamen's Mission Hall belonging to the Incorporated Seamen and Boatmen's Friend Society. The most prominent and important building in the Street was the Anglican Church of Charles, on the western side along with its burial grounds.
The mineral water factory of Messrs W Biscombe
and Sons Limited, Established 1857.
For the Occupants of Green Street in 1852 CLICK HERE.