OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: April 26, 2021
Webpage updated: April 26, 2021

        

ROADS AND STREETS IN OLD PLYMOUTH

EAST STREET

 East Street, Plymouth.

East Street, Plymouth, ran from Old Town Street westwards to Cornwall Street, on the south side of the Pannier Market.

The name has long been attributed to the point of the compass but exactly why is a mystery.  It is south of the Market, north of Bedford Street and west of Old Town Street.  Perhaps the Corporation just had a bad day -- or maybe it is a personal name now long forgotten.

The land upon which East Street was built was open ground in 1765 and it was not listed in 1812 but it is on John Cooke's map of Plymouth in 1820 so it was probably built soon after the Market was opened.

East Street suffered badly during the Second World War but some of the buildings were brought back into use afterwards.  Market Buildings, at the entrance to the Meat Market, were demolished in January 1952 to make way for the eastwards expansion of New George Street and the new premises for Messrs John Yeo and Company Limited.  The shops had recently been occupied by Messrs Fernley Wallis (Chemists) Limited, Battershill's the newsagent and Swiss's toy shop.