Webpage created: January 24, 2018
Webpage updated: May 08, 2019
WRANGATON STATION (KINGSBRIDGE ROAD STATION)
Wrangaton Station was recorded in 1955 as being 231 miles 70 chains milepost mileage from London Paddington Station via Bristol Temple Meads Station, the original route of the Great Western Railway. The ruling gradient approaching Wrangaton Station was 1 in 117 rising and continued towards Bittaford Platfom at 1 in 120 falling.
The South Devon Railway between Totnes Station and Laira Green Temporary Station on the outskirts of Plymouth, including Wrangton Station (sic), was officially opened to both passenger and goods traffic on May 5th 1848. It was single line as far as Hemerdon Junction, except at the stations. It was renamed Kingsbridge Road Station in May 1849.
The Dartmoor mist lingers over Wrangaton
Station in 1959.
Kingsbridge Road Station reverted to its original name of Wrangaton in July 1895. It is sometimes misspelled as "Wrangerton Station".
It will be noted from the photograph above that the waiting room and booking office were at a higher level than the station platforms.
Within less than a year of the opening of Bittaford Platform, it was reported in the local press that the traffic at Wrangaton Station had been so greatly reduced that the Great Western Railway Company were now considering closing the Station.
According to the "The Official Hand-book of Station 1956" Wrangaton Station, which included the Admiralty's Monksmoor Siding, dealt with goods traffic, passengers, parcels, miscellaneous traffic, live stock, horse boxes, and prize cattle vans. It was equipped with a crane capable of lifting 2 tons.
Wrangaton Station was closed to passenger traffic on and as from March 2nd 1959 and to goods traffic on and as from September 9th 1963, although access to the Ministry of Defence Monksmoor Depot continued in use.