Webpage created: June 03, 2017.
Webpage updated: June 03, 2017
RAILWAYS IN OLD PLYMOUTH | BRITISH RAILWAYS (SOUTHERN REGION)
Upon the nationaliozation of Britain's railwasys on January 1st 1948 the Southern Railway Company Cattewater Branch became the British Railways Cattewater Branch, operated by the Southern Region.
Like most freight only railway lines, there is no detailed record of the closure or withdrawal of service of parts of the line.
The sidings to the Corporation Wharf were removed in November 1967 and the Regent Oil siding in August 1969.
Coal traffic virtually ceased after 1974 following the closure of the Plymouth "A" Power Station.
In 1981 the Fison's fertilizer plant closed down and Plymouth's "B" Power Station also closed.