OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
Plus parts of the South Hams and West Devon
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: May 31, 2018
Webpage updated: May 31, 2018

        

RAILWAYS IN OLD PLYMOUTH  |  SOUTH DEVON RAILWAY COMPANY
MAIN LINE, BRENT STATION TO PLYMOUTH STATION (MILLBAY)

BITTAFORD VIADUCT TEMPORARY SIGNAL BOX

Bittaford Viaduct Temporary Signal Box, at 233 miles 10 chains mile post mileage from London Paddington Station via Bristol Temple Meads Station, was opened by the Great Western Railway Company in 1904.  It was inspected by the Board of Trade on December 3rd 1904.

The Box was at ground level and measured just 6 feet by 8 feet and contained five levers.  It is knot known when it was closed.

  With grateful acknowledgement to the late Mr Laurence 'Larry' William Crosier (1929-2010) of the Great Western Railway Company (1943-1947);
British Railways (1948-c1994); the Plymouth Railway Circle, the Lee Moor Tramway Preservation Society, and the Signalling Record Society.