Webpage created: January 14, 2020
Webpage updated: January 14, 2020
Radiant House, on the corner of Union Street and Derry's Cross roundabout, was built for the South Western Gas Board as offices and showrooms. The architects were Messrs Whinney, Son and Austin.
Constructed of Portland stone, the ground floor was comprised of shop-fronted showrooms while on the first floor was a tea lounge, a projection room, a demonstration theatre, a reception hall and offices. There were five floors in all, each with a plentiful supply of "flower balconies". The main entrance, with balconies over, was facing up Royal Parade and was surmounted by a clock tower.
Radiant House was officially opened in 1954.
Given that the main entrance was on Derry's Cross it is odd that the entrance and address of the SWGB was Radiant House, Union Street.
The building became a branch of the Halifax Building Society Limited in circa 1972.