Webpage created: November 12, 2019
Webpage updated: November 12, 2019
This large stone tablet commemorates the passing of the Reform Bill on June 4th 1832, which was of great benefit to Plymouth by giving the 'middle classes' the vote.
The tablet was erected in 1833 at a spot near to the Bull Ring, below the Belvedere, a penny subscription defraying the cost. It was later removed to a wall in Madeira Road and is now within the precincts of the Plymouth Dome.
~ This tablet was erected to commemorate the passing of the glorious Reform Act in the second year of the reign of King William IV., A.D. 1832, to the immortal honour of its noble promoters, Grey, Brougham, Althorp, Russell, Ebrington, etc. Supported by the unanimous voices of 20,000 inhabitants of Plymouth, Devonport, and Stonehouse, assembled near this spot on the 16th of May, 1832. John Collier, Chairman. The first members of the Reformed Parliament for the Borough of Plymouth were John Collier, Esq., and Thomas Bewes, Esq. George Corydon, Esq., Mayor, Returning Officer, S. Kerswell, Governor. ~
The arms shown on the tablet are those of the Hospital of the Poor's Portion (otherwise known as the Workhouse) with its motto "By God's help through Christ".