Webpage created: October 12, 2021
Webpage updated: October 12, 2021
Turnchapel Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is in Saint John's Road, Turnchapel, Plymstock, Plymouth. Although the building is still in existence, it is now a private residence.
It is known from documents held by the former Plymouth and West Devon Record Office that the Wesleyan Methodists first met at Turnchapel in either 1809 or 1810. There were thriteen members in October 1813 but stood at only twelve in December 1817.
The first Chapel was erected at Turnchapel in 1817 and cost £312. It had seating for 200.
It would seem that the Chapel fell into disrepair because at the time of the Wesleyan Conference in Plymouth in 1913 it was described as having 'unquestionably seen better days'. However, the Sunday School was flourishing: 'this is certainly an indication of brighter prospects in the future'.
|With acknowledgements to the Reverend John Haley of Ridgeway Methodist Church, Plympton, and Mr Chris Crouch, the Property and Facilities Officer at the Circuit Office, Devonport.|