Webpage created: October 29, 2021
Webpage updated: November 02, 2021
SAINT JOHN'S NATIONAL SCHOOL
In 1856 a National School for boys and girls was opened adjacent to the Anglican Church of Saint John the Evangelist at Hooe, which the year before had been created a separate parish out of the Ancient Parish of Plymstock. It was sometimes known as Hooe Upper School or the Hooe National School At the same time a small school for infants was opened on the quayside at Turnchapel.
Anglican Church of Saint John the Evangelist, the National School, and the
Parsonage, all at Hooe.
Mr William Henry Bamkin and his wife, Mrs Elizabeth Bamkin, were master and mistress of Saint John's National School in 1890.
Because of rising attendance numbers, an additional classroom was built at Saint John's in 1895. It could now accommodate 125 children. At the same time the infants' school became a part of the main School.
When the Devon County Local Education Authority became responsible for education in the County as a result of the Education Act 1902 Saint John's, or Hooe National School, became a Voluntary Church School. Thhe average attendance at the junior school was 155 children and Mr Francis Wyatt was the master. Miss Sargent was the mistress of the infants' school at Turnchapel, where the average attendance in 1902 was 70 pupils.
In 1914 the average attendances were 115 pupils at the main School and 49 children at the Infants' School.
It took until 1932 for the Devon County Local Education Authority to confirm that the official name was the Plymstock Lower Hooe Council School.