Webpage created: October 01, 2021
Webpage updated: October 15, 2021
PLYMPTON WAR MEMORIAL
All photographs © Rachel Broomfield, 2021.
The Plympton War Memorial at the northern entrance to Plympton Castle was unveiled on Wednesday May 7th 1924 by Sir Richard F Phillmore KCB, KCMG, MVO, the Commander-in-Chief, Plymouth Command, Royal Navy.
Designed by the Rector of Saint Maurice, the Reverend C E Seccombe, the simple obelisk stands on a base and steps. The eastern face bears a Christian Cross with the inscription: ~ In grateful memory of the men of Plympton St Maurice who laid down their lives in the Great War for Freedom and Justice. ~
The Memorial records the names of the following: H C Buller; J A Charlick; A Cudmore; L G Cumming; M Farnell; A W Folley; J Gardner; W D Godden; H J Gorman; J Grattan; W R Hambly; E L Hammick; E Hammick; A G Hawken; P M Hayman; F W Hellings; W H Horton; F Hoskin; W H Hunt; P S B Hurrell; T C Kenshole; J W Lavis; A Lee; E V Lewis; E W S Marshall; A J Newson; H Pearse; E Pillage; A E Rabley; J T Roberts; W B Roberts; W H Robinson; W P Seymour; R A Shepheard; E F Soper; F J Spurr; F E Stephens; P C Triscott; and C Webber.
On the western face is a smaller cross, carved in relief and the two longer sides bear laurel wreaths.
The Bishop of Plymouth, the Right Reverend Canon Masterman, dedicated the Memorial, which was supplied and erected by Mr May of Launceston. The Guard of Honour was formed by the men of the Plympton Battery, 158, Devon Coast Artillery, under Captain Miers.
It is interesting to note that some of the funds for this memorial were raised by holding a "Mile of Pennies" event on Saturday February 16th 1924. For that purpose Mr G F Triscott lent some lengths of wood upon which to rest the pennies and Mr Alfred was the first to deposit some at the parish boundary by Mr Willis' shop in the Ridgeway, and a further line started from Mr W J Saunders' shop. A third line was started outside the shop of Mr A Wills in Fore Street. A model of the proposed memorial, made by Mr T Robinson, was displayed at each of the collecting points in turn. The line of pennies in Fore Street, of which the Rector of Plympton Saint Maurice (the Reverend C E Seccombe) was in charge, appeared to grow more rapidly than the two in the Ridgeway, which were overseen by a Miss Oxlade. The collection continued until dusk and £20 was raised, a half of what was required.
Pay-Commander S G Andrews, RN, was chairman of the War memorial Committee and the Honorary Treasurer was Mr T A Robinson, of Saint Maurice House, Plympton.
The following names have since been added to the Memorial in respect of those who gave their lives during the Second World War: E M Anderson; E W Baker; F W Beaver; S C Beaver; W J S Bower; R A C Burnett; W C Cawse; A E Doyle; J C S Heat; F E Jane; H Parsons; J Pullen; K S Revell; A C Roberts; E R S Rowse; R W Sandover; A H Sarah; A Treduning; J A Wakefield; C Webber; C S A Winzer; and E S C Willcocks.
|With acknowledgements to Debbie Watson and Rachel Broomfield for their assistance in obtaining the excellent photographs.|