OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: January 21, 2022
Webpage updated: January 21, 2022

        

PLYMPTON

PLYMPTON SAINT MARY AND PLYMPTON DISTRICT NATIONAL SCHOOL

 Mr J Brooking Rowe tells us in his "History of the Borough of Plympton Erle", published in 1906, that: 'As regards elementary education, in the year 1844 a district National School was founded for the parishes of Plympton Saint Mary and Plympton Saint Maurice, called the Plympton Saint Mary and Plympton District National School, established at the Ridgeway.'

The location of the Plympton Saint Mary and Plympton District National School.
The site was later taken by Elm Terrace.
From Ordnance Survey sheet CXXIV.3 dated 1854-1863.

In the 1860s it was found desirable for the two parishes to have their own National schools: Plympton Saint Maurice National School and Plympton Saint Mary National School.