Webpage created: October 03, 2021
Webpage updated: October 05, 2021
PLYMPTON SAINT MARY RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL
"Treverbyn", Plymbridge Road, the Plympton
Saint Mary Rural District Council Offices.
Formed in 1875 as the Plympton Saint Mary Rural Sanitary District (RSD). Became a Rural District Council in 1894 as a result of the Local Government Act 1894.
The Rural District in 1914 covered the Ancient Parishes of: Bickleigh, Brixton, Compton Gifford, Cornwood, Eggbuckland, Ermington, Harford, Newton Ferrers, Plympton Maurice or Plympton Erle (sic), Plympton Saint Mary, Plymstock, Revelstoke, Saint Budeaux, Shaugh Prior, Tamerton Foliot, Wembury, Weston Peverell and Yealmpton.
Council meetings were then held in the Union Workhouse on alternate Fridays commencing at 3pm. The chairman of the Council in 1914 was Mr John H Glover, of Cornwood. The clerk to the Council was Mr John W Bickle, of Temple Chambers, Westwell Street, Plymouth; the treasurer was Mr Mackworth Praed Parker, of the Naval Bank, Plymouth; the engineer and surveyor was Mr F A Clark, of 83 Old Town Street, Plymouth; and the medical officer of health was Doctor Sack Noy Scott LRCP Lond., DPHRCPS Lond., of "Elmleigh", Plymstock.
Plympton Saint Mary Rural District Council moved in to new Council offices at "Treverbyn", Plymbridge Road, when it was officially opened on Friday January 2nd 1931. The opening ceremony was performed by the chairman of the Council, Mr W H Elford JP, using a silver key presented to him by Mr C J V Payne, of Noss Mayo, who had been responsible for adapting the former private residence for Council use. The purchase and conversion of the property, plus furniture, had cost just over £7,000. In addition to the offices and committee rooms the building contained a 'handsomely-appointed Council Chamber', and was the Plympton district Registry Office.
"Treverbyn" was demolished in 2005 despite Plymouth City Council giving assurances that it would be retained.