Webpage created: October 20, 2021
Webpage updated: January 21, 2022
PLYMPTON SAINT MARY NATIONAL SCHOOL
The National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church opened a school at Plympton in 1844. Because it served both Plympton parishes it was named the Plympton Saint Mary and Plympton District National School and took boys and girls.
A new school building to accommodate 290 children was erected or opened in Market Road, opposite the Ancient Parish Church of Saint Mary the Blessed Virgin, in 1866.
At that time the master and mistress were Mr and Mrs John Stuttard respectively.
Under the Devon County Local Education Authority from October 1st 1902 onwards it became a Voluntary-aided Elementary School. Mr George J E Gilmour was the master and Mrs Lydia Gilmour the mistress. The average attendance at that time was 160 children.