Webpage created: December 08, 2019
Webpage updated: December 08, 2019
OLD PLYMOUTH SOCIETY
The Old Plymouth Society was formed at a special meeting in the Council Chamber on Friday January 17th 1930.
Alderman James Churchward, the Mayor of Plymouth, became the Society's first Patron. Two Presidents were elected, Viscount Astor for Plymouth and Sir Philip Pilditch Bart., the local Member of Parliament, for London. Likewise, two Honorary Secretaries were chosen: Mr A S Parker FRIBA, in Plymouth and Mr F Ashe Lincoln in London. Mr Parker's son, Mr A Southcombe Parker, became Assistant Honorary Secretary in Plymouth. Captain Sydney E Moon became the Honorary Treasurer in Plymouth and Mr W T Pilditch was elected to that role in London. The post of Honorary Publication Editors were Mr A S Parker and Mr C W Bracken BA.
Elected to the Committee were: Mr Ambrose Andrews, former Mayor; Miss Mary Bayly; Mr Hansford Worth; Mr J J Judge; Mr H Victor Prigg; Lieutenant-Colonel W P Drury; Doctor Charles Croft; Mr Victor Winnicott; Mr C Cheverton FRIBA; and Alderman W L Munday. The Mayor was thanked by the American Consul, Doctor A B Cooke.
The Annual Subscription was set at two shillings and six pence. Those who paid two guineas or more were to become Vice-Presidents.
After the meeting there was a tour of features of old Plymouth, a reading of Mr Hansford Worth's "Manor of Stonehouse" and finally tea at the Grand Hotel, hosted by Sir Philip Pilditch.
The Society has been re-born twice, first in 1943, after the Blitz, and again in 1992.