Webpage created: July 14, 2017.
Webpage updated: May 29, 2021
HOE GRAMMAR SCHOOL
The Hoe Grammar School was started in 1867 by a Mr A S Hendry, who remained as the headmaster until 1887 when Mr George Pearse Dymond MA (Lond) took over. By 1889 there were 36 boys in attendance.
It started in premises at 6 Lockyer Street, The Hoe, Plymouth. This was extended to include 7 and 8 Lockyer Street and eventually 2 Alfred Street. Even number 11 Windsor Terrace was used for a time.
By 1893 there were four classes under headmaster Mr George Pearse Dymond, and teachers Mr John Rounsefell, Mr Charles Bishop and Miss Kate Medder
In 1900 the fees per term for day boys ranged from 1 Guinea for the aged 5 to 8 years to 3 Guineas for those above 15. Boarders paid between 8 and 12 Guineas per term. A reduction was available to brothers over the age of 10 years. By 1939 the fees had risen to 3½ Guineas to 7 Guineas and for boarders to between 16 and 21 Guineas per term.
The old boys association was formed in September 1919, one of the founders being Mr Isaac Foot, who became the Lord Mayor of Plymouth in 1945/46. The association became the Old Drakonian's Association at the annual general meeting held on November 6th 1925.
Alderman George Pearse Dymond died on September 25th 1939 and his son, Mr Frank Dymond took over as headmaster.
All that remained of the Hoe
Grammar School in 1943.
The School was gutted by fire during the night raid of March 20th/21st and the following night the adjoining buildings, including the orphanage and YWCA, were also destroyed. The school was unable to continue but the building was occupied by Government officials until the raid of April 21st finally brought the destruction of the premises.
On May 3rd 1958 the Western Evening Herald reported that the remains of the School, together with those of the Orphanage next door, were 'seriously detrimental to the amenities of the neighbourhood' and that the owners, Fredco Estates, were to be ordered to repair or demolish the buildings.
Demolition of the remains of the School started at the beginning of March 1959 and was completed on March 16th. During the work a part of a wall buckled and collapsed, taking with it a lamp-post in Alfred Street.
A plaque commemorating the existence of the Hoe Grammar School was erected on the site on Saturday June 11th 1966.