Webpage created: August 28, 2018
Webpage updated: August 28, 2018
FREEDOM FIELDS HOSPITAL
Originally opened in 1858 as the Plymouth Workhouse, it was enlarged several times and eventually became the Greenbank Infirmary in 1909. Upon the workhouse system ceasing in 1930 it became the City Hospital, Longfield Terrace, Plymouth. It was completely separate from The Prince of Wales's Hospital.
In 1951 the City Hospital was combined with The Prince of Wales's Hospital to form the South Devon and East Cornwall General Hospital Group, of which the Secretary and Chief Administrator was Mr Arthur E Cash FHA, at 7 Nelson Gardens, Stoke, Plymouth. Within this Group it became known as Freedom Fields Hospital. It underwent tremendous enlargement, with the addition of a new casualty department, pharmacy, sterile supply department, radiography department and intensive care unit.
Closure commenced in January 1982 when the Renal Unit was transferred out to the new Derriford Hospital. This process went slowly, though, with Maternity Department now moving until 1994 and the last patients not leaving until February 1998. The site has now been redeveloped as affordable housing, the only remnant being the Freedom House that was added in 1909 to house the Board of Guardians.