Webpage created: July 11, 2017.
Webpage updated: July 11, 2017
DAME HANNAH ROGERS' SCHOOL
Dame Hannah was the wife of Sir John Rogers of Blatchford, in the parish of Cornwood. In her Will dated September 8th 1764 she left £10,000 towards the upkeep of the School in Bedford Terrace, Plymouth. Although it is claimed that the School was founded in that year, it was not until November 1787 that the Trustees of the Will were given the money and thus able to rent a house for the purpose of the School. That property was Bowling Green House, which is said to have previously been an inn with a bowling green attached.
In 1820 there were forty-four girls at the School. They were admitted at eight years of age and were allowed to remain until their fifteenth birthday, when they were apprenticed, with premiums of one guinea and gifts of five guineas for clothing. Only girls living in the counties of Devon and Cornwall were admitted.
The accounts for that year reveal the cost of running the School. The school mistress, who taught them reading and plain work, was paid a salary of £100 while a master who taught writing during the girls' last three years at the School was paid £20 per year. The mistress also received three shillings per week per pupil, which totalled a further £339 4s, 'for maintenance of the children by monthly payments'. The rent of the school house cost £38 10s and repairs to it a further £33 4s 8½d. Clothing the girls (hats, cloaks and shoes once in two years) cost £91 18s 9d and the premiums on binding seven girls as apprentices amounted to £7 7s. There was also a surgeon's bill of £26 7s. One child died during her time there and the funeral expenses amounted to £1 11s 4d. With the addition of miscellaneous payments, including stamps to the value of 8s 6d, the total expenditure for the year ended June 24th 1820 was £692 9s 0½d. As far as can be discerned from the complicated situation created by the problems with Mr Cleather, the clerk and treasurer to the Trustees, the annual income from the capital amounted to £836 3s.
In addition to the premium, the School paid another 13s 6d for the expenses of the indentures and £5 5s to furnish each girl with proper clothing.
The trustees in 1851 were Sir F L Rogers of Blachford, Cornwood, and Captain (H) Rogers, (RN) of Citadel Road, Plymouth.
The School moved to Ivybridge in 1887, where, as the Dame Hannah Rogers' Endowed Charity School for Girls, it trained orphan girls for domestic duties. At the start of the twentieth century there were 45 girls in attendance. In 1916 it was described as an elementary and industrial hospital school for poor necessitous girls who were either native or inhabitants of the counties of Devon and Cornwall.
In 1924 it became an Orthopaedic Hospital School and in 1949 changed again, to become the first school in the country devoted to educating spastic children.
On July 19th 1958 Sir Henry Platt, the immediate past president of the Royal College of Surgeons, laid the foundation stone for new premises at Ivybridge, in to which the School moved the following year.