Webpage created: May 13, 2020
Webpage updated: May 13, 2020
CINEMA DE LUXE
On March 23rd 1910, Plymouth Borough Council gave authority to Mr William Caston to show films at the Cinema de Luxe, located in an old waxworks at 110 Union Street, Plymouth, next door to the Saint James's Hall.
He was initially refused a licence until the building works had been completed and 'an exhibition to which the Cinematograph Act applies must at once cease'. It would seem that Mr Caston, or another, was already showing films on the premises. In any event, the waxworks would have had to close since the two functions could hardly have gone on side-by-side. He must have given an immediate assurance of his intention to comply with these conditions as later at the same Council committee meeting he was granted his licence.
The Cinema De Luxe is described as being two rooms of a house entered through blue painted doors similar to a shop. It apparently seated some 50 people on long wooden benches and an "orator" was employed to give a commentary on the action and to read out the sub-titles.
Mr William Caston died on August 28th 1919. He had been the manager and licensee since it opened but on December 17th 1919 it passed to his widow, Hannah, who was named as the proprietor. In late 1926 or early 1927 the Cinema De Luxe closed, a fact reported by the Chief Constable on April 13th 1927.