Webpage created: July 16, 2017.
Webpage updated: July 16, 2017
WOLSDON STREET BOARD SCHOOL
Wolsdon Street Board School in Plymouth was designed by Messrs Norman and Hine, architects to the Plymouth School Board, and was built in the Gothic style by Messrs Lapthorne and Goad. The School was intended to accommodate 233 girls and infants only and was built at a total cost of £3,037 0s 6d, of which the cost of the site was £1,317 0s 6d and the cost of the buildings, £1,720.
It was opened in 1871 and was extended in July 1880. By 1888 there were 240 girls in attendance under Miss Isebelle Murray and 220 infants supervised by Mrs Ellen Lang.
The average attendance in 1901 was 180 girls and 304 infants, by which time the Mistress of the girls section was Miss F L Bright.
Following the transfer of responsibilities for education from the Plymouth School Board to the Plymouth Local Education Authority, as from April 1st 1903 the former Wolsdon Street Board School became the Wolsdon Street Elementary School.