Webpage created: December 03, 2021
Webpage updated: December 03, 2021
THOMAS GEORGE FERNLEY CHAPMAN WALLIS (1892-1981)
Thomas George Fernley Chapman Wallis born in Plymouth in November 14th 1892 and baptised at Charles' Church with his older sister, Emma Chapman Wallis, on February 5th 1893. He was the second son of Mr George Wallis, a police sergeant, and his wife Rachel Mary, formerly Chapman. They had married at Plymouth's Saint Andrew's Church on March 1st 1882 and in addition to Emma already mentioned they had a son, William George Henry Chapman Wallis.
Although both his parents came from Cornwall, his later claim to be of Cornish birth was incorrect.
He was educated Cattedown Road Boards Schools and later became President of the Old Cattedonians.
Messrs Fernley Wallis, chemists, at
This was presumably followed by science classes at the Plymouth Technical School as Fernley later became President of their old boys association.
Within six months of becoming qualified as a chemist, Mr Wallis purchased the bankrupt business of Messrs Martin and Palmer at numbers 1 and 2 Market Buildings, East Street. The year was 1914. The partners were (possibly Mr John Martin, chemist of Cattedown Road) and (certainly) Mr John M Palmer.
As Fernley Wallis he married Miss Olive Edna Louisa Ross at the Greenbank United Methodist Chapel, in Plymouth, on Wednesday September 4th 1918. She was a daughter of Mr William Charles Ross, master butcher, and his wife Alice Maud Ross.
As a chemist, he would have sold Aspro, "In times of Stress, ASPRO Soothes Nerve Strain and brings Sweet Sleep", which in November 1941 was available in packets at 3½d, 6½d, 1s 3½d, and 2s 6½d and Germolene Antiseptic Ointment, which in February 1947 was retailing at 1s 4d and 3s 3d per jar including purchase tax.
Although some of the Plymouth Pennier Market buildings were severely damaged as a result of the wartime destruction of nearby Bedford Street and Old Town Street, Fernley Wallis's managed to carry on until just before Market Buildings were demolished in January 1952. The business had been there for 38 years, except for a very short period after the Blitz.Messrs Fernley Wallis (Chemists) Limited reopened at numbers 1 and 3 New George Street, on the corner with Old Town Street, on the opposite corner to Boot's the Chemists.
The original interior of Fernley
Mr Wallis, who was President of the Rotary Cub of Plymouth in 1953-54, sold his business early in 1980 and retired to Plympton with his wife, Olive.
His two sons, Peter Wallis and Raymond Wallis, had both predeceased him and his widow, Mrs Olive Edna Louisa Wallis, passed away only 17 months later, in 1983.