OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: January 04, 2020
Webpage updated: June 11, 2020

        

WHO WAS WHO IN OLD PLYMOUTH

SURNAMES - E

Thomas Eales was Mayor of Plymouth for 1807-1808.

William Penn Hele Eales (1809-1878).

George Eastlake junior was Mayor of Plymouth for 1819-1820.

George Henry Eccles (1841-1918).

John Elford replaced John Fletcher as Mayor of Plymouth for 1721-1722, who died the day following his election.

Jonathan Elford, a son of Sir William Elford, was a partner in the Plymouth Bank.

Sir William Elford, of Bickham House, was an early partner in the Plymouth Bank.

J B Ellen was the Post Master at the General Post Office in Whimple Street in 1878.

John Ellery was Mayor of Plymouth for 1748-1749.

James Elliott was Mayor of Plymouth for 1804-1805.

Flight Lieutenant M Ely, of Hooe, Plymstock, Devon, who was stationed at RAF Mount Batten, was a survivor of the crew of the Blackburn Iris Flying Boat S238 that crashed in Plymouth Sound on Wednesday February 4th 1931.

Ernest Thomas English (1899-1971), a native of Essex, came to Plymouth in 1942 to become the General Secretary of the Plymouth Council of Social Service, later renamed the Plymouth Guild of Social Service.  He was awarded the MBE in the New Year's Honours 1949.  Their headquarters in Buckwell Street was named Ernest English House.  He died at Plymouth on August 29th 1971 and was cremated at Efford Crematorium on September 2nd 1971.

William Evan Evans was Lord Mayor of Plymouth for 1978-1979.

William Hole Evans was Mayor of Plymouth for 1833-1834 and 1837-1838.

A Mr Evelegh, a discharged Borough Surveyor from Bath in Somerset, was the architect of the Plymouth Guildhall erected in 1799-1800.