Webpage created: March 10, 2018
Webpage updated: March 10, 2018
WESTERN WEEKLY NEWS
The Western Weekly News was started by the Western Morning News Company on October 5th 1861.
The last issue of the Devonport & Plymouth Telegraph, Naval and Commercial Gazette, and Western Counties Advertiser, was published on Saturday June 27th 1863, after which it was amalgamated with the Western Weekly News. Publication was every Friday afternoon at 26 Bedford Street, Plymouth, and also at number 1 Chapel Street, Devonport, the former office of the Devonport and Plymouth Telegraph.
To the great amusement of its competitor, the Western Daily Mercury, the owners of the Western Morning News and Western Weekly News, 31 George Street, formed their business into a Limited Liability Company in May 1866. The reason for the amusement was that the proprietors claimed this was 'for the purpose of introducing into the partnership some of the gentlemen who have been actively engaged on the papers' but the Mercury found that there were only two people in the list of shareholders who were not family and that they only had eight shares allotted to them. The shares were valued at £50 each.
The largest shareholders were the founders, Mr Edward Spender, of Warwick Crescent, Paddington, London, with 155 shares, and Mr William Saunders, of Finchley Road, St John's Wood, London, with 139. The remaining shares, indicated in brackets, were held by Mr George Bayly, Elder Brother of Trinity House, (20); Ms Sarah Box (20); Doctor Edmund Rendle (20); Mr John Kent Spender, surgeon (15); Miss Ann Saunders, (8); Miss Ellen Saunders (8); Mr Edward Hawkins, accountant (6); Miss Emily Spender (3); Mr Edmund Marshman Russell Rendle, surgeon (2); Mr Albert Groser, the editor (2); and Mr William Hunt, former editor, (2).
From March 17th 1906 it became The Illustrated Western Weekly News but reverted to its original title from March 12th 1921, following the amalgamation of the Western Morning News and Western Daily Mercury. The Weekly Mercury was amalgamated with the western Weekly News as form March 26th 1921.
It ceased on Saturday October 28th 1939, when it was amalgamated with the Western Times.