Webpage created: August 02, 2017.
Webpage updated: August 02, 2017
Reverend VINCENT WARREN'S CHARITY
By his will dated July 17th 1790, the Reverend Vincent Warren gave to Mr Humphrey Julian and Mr Richard Julian, the sum of £2,800 in 3% Consols upon trust, after the death of his widow, Mary. As it was to turn out, Mary Warren died first.
£2,000 of that sum was given for the use of the parish of Plymstock and was placed in the hands of Mr John Harris, Mr William Hare and the Reverend John Rowse, the minister of Plymstock Church. The dividend was paid to the minister, who was then to use £23 for clothing ten poor boys of the parish and £18 similarly for ten poor girls. The children should be resident in the parish and be between the ages of five and eight years. Curiously, he declared that in respect of Plymstock the children of paupers, 'having constant pay of the parish,' should not receive any benefit from this Charity. Ten of the children must be clothed at Lady-day and the other ten at Michaelmas-day but none should be given new clothing for two years running unless the vicar and the trustees agreed. The recipients should be nominated each year, four boys and four girls by the vicar and two boys and two girls by each of the four trustees.
The Reverend Warren also declared that £12 per year should be paid partly for the accommodation of the children as a school and partly as the salary of a school mistress. She was to teach the boys to read and the girls to read and knit and she was to escort them regularly to Plymstock Church. In addition to the twenty children eligible for clothing and education that year, the twenty children from the previous year should be taught as as well. It would appear, therefore, that the boys were to receive a maximum of two year's lessons in reading only.
A further £2 was to be paid to the minister for the purchase of Testaments and other books for the use of the children and eight shillings was to be paid to the sexton for taking care of the testators vault.
Finally, the minister of the Church of Saint Mary and All Saints must preach each year a sermon on the duty of parents to their children and that he should pay one shilling to each of ten poor children from the parish of Eggbuckland who must hear the sermon. The sum of ten shillings was to be paid to the clerk and singers of Plymstock parish, too.
The dividend on the remaining £800 was to be transferred or assigned to Mr Philip Morshead, Mr George Leach and Mr John Briggs, or their heirs, and to the vicar of the parish of Eggbuckland for for distribution in that parish.
£11 was to be spent in clothing five poor boys and £8 10s was to be used for clothing five poor girls, all residing within the parish. All the children should be at least five years old and no older than eight years. Five of them must be clothed at Lady-day and the other five at Michaelmas but none should be given new clothing for two years running unless the vicar and two of the trustees agreed. The recipients should be nominated each year, two boys and two girls by the vicar and one boy and one girl by each of the three trustees.
The Reverend Warren further stipulated that the vicar of the Church of Saint Edward should preach a sermon on the first Sunday after April 22nd each year on the duty of children to their parents. It will be observed that this was the opposite to the sermon to be preached at Plymstock parish church (see earlier). He also directed that each of the 20 poor children of the parish of Plymstock should be paid one shilling by the vicar of Eggbuckland Church and that they should attend the special sermon.
After the divine service that day the clerks and singers of Saint Edward's Church should sing Psalm 100 with the children at the vault of the testator's daughter, Georgiana Julian. The singers were to be collectively paid ten shillings.
An interesting condition of this Charity was that the gift should be recorded on a tablet affixed to the wall of Eggbuckland Church nearest to his daughter's monument and that if the parishioners failed to ensure that the tablet was kept in perfect condition the dividends of the £800 would be paid to the vicar of Plymstock instead. If the parishioners of Plymstock failed to maintain the memorial then the dividend was to be divided between the parishes of Brixton and Wembury. A similar tablet was to be placed within Plymstock Church but if the parishioners there failed to maintain the tablet the dividend for the whole £2,000 was to be paid to the vicar of Eggbuckland.
At the time of the Charity Commissioners' report in 1821 the Reverend William Forster was the only surviving trustee for the parish of Plymstock. As he was resident in Plymstock he had delegated responsibility to his curate, the Reverend W Williams. The annual dividend received amounted to £60. The testator's wishes were still being carried out except that the children had always been clothed for two years and allowed to receive education for a third year but without new clothing. Very few children returned for the third year, however. The girls were taught sewing in addition to reading and knitting, as originally prescribed. The school in Plymstock was held in a room belonging to Mr John Harris, which he gave without fee. As a result the entire £12 was paid to the school mistress as salary.
Over in the parish of Eggbuckland, the dividend amounted to £24 per annum. The master of the Eggbuckland Charity School was given the responsibility of clothing five boys in one half-year, at a cost of £11, and five girls in the second half-year, at a cost of £8 10s. The tablet had been erected and the children clothed and educated in Plymstock received their due amounts of money. The sermon was preached on the appropriate Sunday and the singers were paid their due sum of ten shillings.
On March 6th 1862 the Eggbuckland parish part of the Charity was transferred to the Official Trustees of Charitable Funds.
By 1910 the vicar of Eggbuckland was the sole trustee and the dividend of £20 was paid into the account of the vicar and churchwardens at Lloyd's Bank, Plymouth. Ten children were still clothed, at a cost in 1909 of £17 4s 5d. At that time 7s 6d was paid to the choir boys after the special sermon and 2s 6d to the clerk. The poor children of Eggbuckland also received one shilling each but were not required to attend the special sermon in Plymstock parish church and the children from Plymstock were not required to go to Eggbuckland.
On May 30th 1883 the £2,000 worth of Consols making up the Plymstock part of Warren's Charity was transferred to the Official Trustees of Charitable Funds.
By 1910 the trustees were the vicar of Plymstock; Mr Peter Halse Evea; Mr Thomas Bulteel and Doctor Sack Noy Scott. Mr P E Bateman, of Plymstock, was the clerk of the Charity. The dividend of £50 was paid to a Warren's Charity account at the Naval Bank, Plymouth. A change had been made to the rules of qualification in that any poor child between the ages of 6 and 8 could apply and be clothed and educated provided their parents signed an undertaking that the child would, if accepted, regularly attend a Sunday School and the morning service at the parish church.
Clothing the children in 1905 cost £31 2s 6d and a further £12 was expended on not one but two pairs of boots for each child. Since 1897, when a Board School was opened, the sum previously set aside for the provision of a school room and school mistress had been added to the sum set aside for clothing. The Charity Commissioners were unhappy about this arrangement but by 1910 nothing had been done about changing it. One other alteration to previous arrangements was that £9 was now distributed amongst the six Sunday Schools in the parish.
Although the annual sermons were still continuing, the children were no longer expected to travel the five miles from Eggbuckland to Plymstock (or vice versa) just to listen to them. This is odd in so much that travelling should have been much easier in 1910 than when the Charities were first set up and the Plymstock children must have found it odd hearing that in their parish the parents had a duty to the children while five miles away in Eggbuckland it was the children who had a duty to the parents. Perhaps they alternated the sermons or the preachers amalgamated the two subjects.
By an Order of the Charity Commissioners dated August 7th 1906 the Charity at Plymstock was divided into "Warren's Educational Foundation", supported by Consols to the value of £1,833 6s 8d, and "Warren's Non-Educational Charity", comprising Consols to the value of £166 3s 4d.