Webpage created: July 19, 2017.
Webpage updated: July 19, 2017
TRINITY BAPTIST CHAPEL
Trinity Baptist Chapel was situated at the southern end of York Street, on the corner with Morley Place, Plymouth. It no longer exists.
The Trinity Chapel was erected in 1828 as a High Calvinist place of worship for Mr Arthur Triggs. However, in 1857-58 there were disputes as to its ownership, which led to one party taking possession by force and barring the other, who were forced to hold their services in outside the Chapel. Worth states that 'Legal proceedings followed.'
At some point the Chapel passed into the hands of the Baptist movement, who continued to use it until around 1900. The site was later used for the offices and warehouse of the Co-operative Wholesale Society, which opened there in May 1922.