OLD PLYMOUTH . UK
www.oldplymouth.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: August 08, 2019
Webpage updated: August 10, 2019

        

TRAMWAY SERVICES IN OLD PLYMOUTH

TRAMWAY SERVICE "8" - MORICE SQUARE to SAINT BUDEAUX SQUARE

Commencement (see note A below)

Monday October 23rd 1916, when through running was introduced following the amalgamation of the Three Towns on November 9th 1914.. 

Original Route (see note B below)

Morice Square, New Passage Hill, William Street, South Keyham Gate, Keyham Road, North Keyham Gate, Saltash Road, Royal Naval Barracks, Wolseley Road, Camel's Head, Saint Budeaux Square.

Fare was one penny for any distance on any one car.  'Children 2 years of age and over must be paid for'.

Subsequent development (see note C below)

---

Unification of the Network, Saturday July 1st 1922

Remained as Route 8, Morice Square to Saint Budeaux Square.


Note A:  Wherever possible an exact date of commencement of a service is shown.  However, in a lot of cases no precise date has been recorded so reference will be made to official returns to the Council or other documentary evidence to narrow the date down as much as possible.

Note B:  This gives the roads and streets the service passed through.  A road or street name in brackets indicates that it has not been confirmed beyond doubt that the road or street was used by buses on this route but it is a "best guess" based on the author's knowledge of the practice at the time.  If it is subsequently confirmed by either documentary or photographic evidence that the road or street was traversed by this service then the brackets will be deleted.

Note C:  Where deviations to the original route are shown they will be from and to a road or street named in the "Original Route" section so that the alteration in route can be easily followed.