Webpage created: August 08, 2019
Webpage updated: August 08, 2019
TRAMWAY SERVICE "7" - GUILDHALL to SOUTH KEYHAM GATE
Commencement (see note A below)
Monday October 23rd 1916, when through running was introduced following the amalgamation of the Three Towns on November 9th 1914.
Original Route (see note B below)
Subsequent development (see note C below)
Unification of the Network, Saturday July 1st 1922
When the Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Tramway was taken over and trams were taken over and Plymouth Corporation trams could run through Edgcumbe Street and Union Street, it became 7, Theatre Royal, Lockyer Street, Princess Square, Westwell Street, Basket Street, Old Town Street, Pound Street, Cobourg Street, Pennycomequick, Stuart Road, Wilton Street, Tamar Terrace, Exmouth Road, Paradise Road, Albert Road, South Keyham Gate, Keyham Road, North Keyham Gate, Saltash Road, Royal Naval Barracks, Wolseley Road, Camel's Head, Saint Budeaux Square.
Also Route 7A, Theatre Royal, Lockyer Street, Princess Square, Westwell Street, Basket Street, Old Town Street, Pound Street, Cobourg Street, Pennycomequick, Stuart Road, Wilton Street, Paradise Road, Tamar terrace, Exmouth Road, Albert Road, South Keyham Gate.
Note A: Wherever possible an exact date of commencement of a service is shown. However, in a lot of cases no precise date has been recorded so reference will be made to official returns to the Council or other documentary evidence to narrow the date down as much as possible.
Note B: This gives the roads and streets the service passed through. A road or street name in brackets indicates that it has not been confirmed beyond doubt that the road or street was used by buses on this route but it is a "best guess" based on the author's knowledge of the practice at the time. If it is subsequently confirmed by either documentary or photographic evidence that the road or street was traversed by this service then the brackets will be deleted.
Note C: Where deviations to the original route are shown they will be from and to a road or street named in the "Original Route" section so that the alteration in route can be easily followed.