Webpage created: August 02, 2017.
Webpage updated: August 02, 2017
Mrs REBECCA SHAW'S GIFT
Mrs Rebecca Shaw, widow, by her will dated January 28th 1807, gave £100 to her sisters, (Mrs) Jenny White and (Mrs) Sarah Hancocks, which she held on security of the tolls of the Plymouth Eastern Turnpike. The annual interest was to be distributed on or near to Christmas each year amongst the poor inhabitants of the Tything of Compton Gifford. She appointed her sisters to be her executrixes during their lives and thereafter Mr Joseph Thomas Austin.
Under an Order of the Charity Commissioners dated May 16th 1882 the sum of £200, being the gifts of Mrs Rebecca Shaw and (Mrs) Sarah Hancocks, was paid over to the Official Trustees of Charitable Funds and invested in two sums of £99 5s 1d New 3% Consols.
By a further Order of the Charity Commissioners dated October 20th 1882, the vicar and churchwardens of the Anglican Church of Emmanuel, Compton Gifford, were appointed a trustees. It appears that from that date the annual income of £4 18s 8d was 'applied in lending bags of linen and providing groceries in maternity cases, and supplying dispensary tickets and milk and other necessaries in time of sickness.'
The accounts of the Shaw and Hancocks Gifts for the year ended March 31st 1908 revealed that 7s 5d had been spent on repairing the linen bags; 16s 4d had been spent on groceries; 5s 6d had been paid to the Plymouth Blanket Society for the loan of blankets; £1 11s 6d had been expended on 12 Plymouth Public Dispensary tickets; and one shilling had been spent on bread.