Webpage created: July 23, 2017.
Webpage updated: July 23, 2017
SALEM STREET METHODIST CHAPEL
Salem Street Methodist Chapel was located in Salem Street, which ran off Friary Gate, Exeter Street.
This small and inconvenient Chapel was opened in 1831 and was generally known as Little Salem Chapel. It was built at a cost of only £708, including the schools which adjoined it, and could accommodate 384 people. Although the Chapel was built with Methodists' money, it somehow passed out of their hands to the Independents, who used it for meetings until 1848 when the Methodists once again gained control, albeit with a debt of some £700.
It was intended to use the Chapel as a Mission once the new Ham Street premises were opened and in 1890 it was being used as the Saint Jude's Mission Room.