Webpage created: August 01, 2017.
Webpage updated: August 01, 2017
ANGLICAN CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST
The Anglican Church of Saint John the Evangelist is situated in Exeter Street, Plymouth. Its Parish is that of Sutton-on-Plym and was formed from the Parish of Charles on June 3rd 1844.
The Church of Saint John's is of stone and cost £3,000 to build. It was consecrated on June 21st 1855. The architect was Mr Benjamin Ferrey. It consists of a chancel, nave, aisles, north chapel, north-west porch and a tower on the northern side, with spire containing one bell. An additional Lady Chapel was erected on the north side in 1883 as a memorial to the son of Mr Charles Norrington. The church was restored in 1878-1882. There is an aumbry for the Blessed Sacrement and side altars in the English style. In 1920 a calvary was erected on the south side in memory of those who fell in the Great War. This was destroyed by enemy action in 1941.
In 1956 the parish of Saint Mary the Virgin and Saint Mary Magdalene was incorporated back into the parish of Saint John, out of which it had been taken in 1911.
After the Second World War, the houses that once lined Exeter Street and Embankment Road were demolished to make way for road widening and the Church's congregation dwindled as a consequence. Indeed, even the vicarage that stood in Brunswick Terrace was demolished. The Church was set to close down in 1971 but pressure from those residents who were left in the area persuaded the Church authorities to keep it open and to provide a new vicarage in Alma Street.
The window in the south-west wall came from the old Garrison Church of Saint Alban at Crownhill in 1979.
During 2006 and 2007 the tower and spire were restored at a cost of some £183,000. Grants were awarded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and the Historic Churches Preservation Trust. The work was carried out by the Wells Cathedral Stonemasons, under the supervision of the architect, Mr Andrew Wood.
Saint John's Mission Room
The Saint John's Mission Room in Parr Street was opened before 1894.