Webpage created: January 21, 2017.
Webpage updated: January 21, 2018
ANGLICAN CHURCH OF SAINT AUGUSTINE OF HIPPO
The Anglican Church of Saint Augustine of Hippo was situated in Alexandra Road, Lipson, Plymouth.
An early picture of St Augustine's Church
The Church was built as part of the Three Towns Church Extension Scheme of 1898. The foundation stone of the church was laid in 1899 and the crypt was finished in 1900 to the designs of Mr C King of Messrs King and Lister. It served as a mission church until 1904 when the main church was consecrated.
The ecclesiastical parish was formed in August 1905.
The building was completed in 1933 by the addition of two bays, a choir vestry on the north-west side and a porch. The Lady Chapel contained a carved altar by V Pinwell. The Church was of granite in the Gothic style and at one time had sittings for 700.
A later picture of St Augustine's Church
It was badly damaged in the Second World War but was re-opened in 1954.
Saint Augustine's Church has now been demolished and replaced with social housing.