Webpage created: September 20, 2019
Webpage updated: September 20, 2019
ROYAL UNION BATHS
The Royal Union Baths were situated in Union Road, later Union Street, Plymouth.
On November 25th 1828 the King granted a charter to Mr Edmund Lockyer of Plymouth, and others, allowing them 'to erect commodious baths for the accommodation, comfort and convenience of the inhabitants and visitors of Plymouth'. Shares to the value of £25 were issued in order to raise the £10,000 needed. It was this Royal seal of approval that permitted the use of 'Royal' in the title.
In fact the foundation stone of the Royal Union Baths had already been laid on July 29th 1828 by Sir Byam Martin, acting on behalf of the King. The Baths were opened on May 1st 1830.
The Royal Union Baths, Union Street, Plymouth.
Two large swimming baths of 70 feet by 30 feet were provided, one for men and one for women, each with twelve dressing rooms. There were separate baths for children and those with skin diseases in addition to eight hot baths complete with dressings rooms, shower and douche baths, and two private cold baths, each twelve feet by six.
The table of charges
for the Royal Union Baths,
Fortunately for Plymothians, the West Hoe Baths opened in 1859.