Webpage created: April 14, 2018
Webpage updated: January 24, 2021
Turnchapel Station at 2 miles 45 chains from Plymstock Station was opened by the London and South Western Railway Company on January 1st 1897. Beyond it was the Turnchapel Wharf belonging to the Admiralty.
London and South Western Railway Company's
The times of departures from Turnchapel Station in 1914 are given on the Turnchapel Departure Board.
Southern Railway Company's Class O2 number 207
at Turnchapel Station
On November 27th 1940 both Turnchapel Station and Turnchapel Signal Box were destroyed by fire during an enemy attack on the adjacent Admiralty oil storage depot. The ensuing blaze was potentially disastrous and three firemen were killed trying to keep the oil tanks as cool as possible to avoid a catastrophic explosion. The fire was not put out until December 1st 1940, leaving twisted metal in place of rails and signals. However, the railways were not daunted by such experiences and by December 16th services were back to normal, supported by new temporary buildings which in fact remained until the line's closure.
The Turnchapel Branch was temporarily closed to passenger traffic between January 1951 and July 2nd 1951 because of a national fuel crisis.
The last passenger train left Turnchapel Station at 10.45pm on Saturday September 8th 1951.
According to the "The Official Hand-book of Station 1956" Turnchapel Station, which included the Admiralty Wharves, dealt with goods traffic, parcels, and miscellaneous traffic. It was not equipped with a crane.
The Turnchapel Branch was completely closed on and as from September 30th 1961.