Webpage created: April 08, 2018
Webpage updated: May 11, 2019
PLYMPTON STATION (formerly COLEBROOK STATION)
Plympton Station was recorded in 1955 as being 241 miles 75 chains milepost mileage from London Paddington Station via Bristol Temple Meads. The ruling gradient on the approach to Plympton Station was 1 in 41 falling (Hemerdon Bank) but levelled out to 1 in 81 falling towards Tavistock Junction Signal Box.
The South Devon Railway between Totnes Station and Laira Green Temporary Station on the outskirts of Plymouth was officially opened to both passenger and goods traffic on May 5th 1848. It was double line from Hemerdon Junction in to Plymouth.
Plympton Station looking towards Hemerdon
What was originally known as Colebrook Station was opened by the South Devon Railway Company on June 15th 1848. It is not known if there was a Signal Box at that time.
In British Railways days there was a speed limit of 60mph from mile post 241¾, just prior to passing through Plympton Station.
According to the "The Official Hand-book of Station 1956" Plympton Station dealt with goods traffic, passengers, parcels, miscellaneous traffic, furniture vans, carriages, motor cars, portable engines and machines on wheels, live stock, horse boxes, prize cattle vans, and carriages and motor cars by passenger or parcels trains. It was not equipped with a crane.
Plympton Station closed to passenger traffic on or as from March 3rd 1959 and to goods traffic on or as from June 1st 1964 although Plympton Signal Box remained in use.
With grateful acknowledgement to the late Mr
Laurence 'Larry' William Crosier (1929-2010) of the Great Western Railway Company
British Railways (1948-c1994); the Plymouth Railway Circle, the Lee Moor Tramway Preservation Society, and the Signalling Record Society.