Webpage created: June 06, 2017.
Webpage updated: June 06, 2017
PLYMOUTH ENGINE SHED
Once the South Devon Railway Company had opened their line from the Laira Green Temporary Station into the heart of Plymouth, at Millbay, they also opened an Engine Shed at a point just before entering Plymouth Station. It is thought to have been brought into use in June 1849. Presumably it was called simply the Plymouth Engine Shed.
It was still used by the Great Western Railway Company when they took over providing the locomotives on the former South Devon Railway but increasing traffic and the congestion this caused on the main line brought about the construction of Laira Engine Shed on the site of the former Temporary Station at Laira Green.
Plymouth Engine Shed continued to be fully used until July 1924 and event after that it was still used a stabling point until 1931, when additional locomotive accommodation was provided by the Great Western Railway Company at Laira Engine Shed.
After 1931 the site of the Shed was used as carriage sidings, which were severely lacking at Plymouth.