Webpage created: May 26, 2018
Webpage updated: May 26, 2018
LAUNCESTON GWR SIGNAL BOX with LAUNCESTON LSWR/SR/BRSR SIGNAL BOX
Launceston Signal Box, at 31 miles 66 chains mile post mileage from Tavistock Junction, was opened by the Great Western Railway Company in June 1892. It measured 16 feet 1 inch by 9 feet 10 inches and contained a 15-lever frame.
It was closed on August 10th 1915 and the Great Western 16-lever frame joined the London and South Western Railway Company's 18-lever frame in their extended Signal Box, which reopened on December 31st 1916.
A connection was laid in between the Great Western Railway and the Southern Railway on September 20th 1943 to enable the interchange of wartime traffic in the event of one or other Company's main line being put out of use.
As from June 30th 1952 all passenger trains on the Launceston Branch were diverted through the wartime link to terminate in Launceston South Station. The Launceston Branch was closed to passenger traffic on and as from December 31st 1962.